How Replace Heating Element in Electric Water Heater
Almost every household has an electric water heater in the bathroom. Compared with the traditional gas water heater, the electric energy is cleaner and avoids carbon monoxide poisoning. Many users have used electric water heaters for a long time. In the process of using electric water heaters, it is inevitable that they will encounter some faults.
For example, the electric water heater does not have water or the water temperature is low. When the electric water heater is used, there is no water. First, check whether the water inlet valve is open or check whether the power supply is turned on, and then check whether the mixing water valve is adjusted correctly. After a period of use, suddenly found that the water temperature is low, can not go to hot water, then it is likely that the electric heating element is damaged or the temperature controller is damaged. You can choose to replace a new heating element or find a professional to repair.
Removing the Heating Element
- 1. Make sure that the power of the electric water heater is off, turn off the power switch, and you can turn off the power supply insurance.
- 2. To open the drain valve, the water in the electric heating container must be drained first, and the integral inlet pipe head with the safety valve must be removed, and other pipes must not be moved.
- 3. Remove the plastic access cover and the insulation covering the junction box of the heating element. Please be careful of the cable above.
- 4. Loosen the screws that secure the wires to the two terminal screws and remove the wires to disconnect the thermostat from the heater.
- 5. Use a wrench to twist the fixing nut and take out the old heating element.
- 6. Remove the waterproof rubber ring. Under normal circumstances, in order to prevent the electric water heater from leaking, there will be a waterproof rubber ring on the heating element. If the heating element is used for a long time, the waterproof rubber ring may be deformed and stuck together due to prolonged high temperature. It can be gently opened by using a tool, so that the heating element can be gently pulled out.
- 7. If necessary, you can prepare a new waterproof rubber ring.
Test Water Heating Element
If you are not sure if there is a problem with the old heating element, you can use a multimeter to test it. For more detailed tutorials, please refer to <<How to Test a Heating Element With a Multimeter>>. Click to read more.
Install a new Heating Element
- 1. According to the removed heating element, buy the heating element of the same voltage and power, usually there will be parameter information on the flange. You can also purchase according to the product manual of the electric water heater.
- 2. Perform a simple cleaning procedure to clean the sediment at the bottom of the tank before installation.
- 3. Place the new waterproof gasket on the new heating element, then insert it into the water tank and fix it by rotation.
- 4. Use a wrench to fix the previously removed nut.
- 5. Connect the inlet pipe
- 6. Turn off the drain valve on the water heater
- 7. Open the inlet valve to completely fill the water in the tank and remove excess air.
- 8. Check for water leaks
- 9. Connect the thermostat to the heater and secure the wires
- 10. Install the access cover
- 11. Turn on the power of the electric water heater
- 12. After a few minutes of operation, the indicator light is heating.
- 13. Open the hot water tap and have hot water flowing out
- 14. Installation test is completed
- 1. Screwdrivers
- 2. Multimeter or Multi-tester
- 3. Wrench
- 4. Gloves
- 5. New heating elements
Working of Electric Water Heaters
The working principle of all electric water heaters is the same. The cold water enters the bottom of the water storage tank by the pressure of the pipe network. There are heating elements, temperature controllers, timers and other controllers in the barrel. When the cold water is slowly heated, the proportion of hot water is lighter than cold water. Therefore, the hot water will float on the inside of the barrel. If the hot water tap is turned on, the cold water will enter the barrel due to the atmospheric pressure, and the hot water floating on it will come out.
The electric water heater controls the amount of water at one or more valves at the water outlet and operates under tap water pressure. This type of water heater has the advantages of flexible installation position, high water pressure and low heat loss. However, because the inner tank works under pressure, it needs to use thicker materials, and the manufacturing process is high; the outlet of the open electric water heater is open, and the water is controlled by a valve on the inlet pipe. Such water heaters work under normal pressure, so the requirements for the production of the liner are relatively low, and the structure is relatively simple.